Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oxford Street and Salsa

Pictures: 1) me in Russell Square, 2) the fountain I drew today

Yesterday after I did laundry, Ashley and I headed for Oxford street with a detour to stop by the Graphic Center store. Going to Camden Art Centre inspired me and I really wanted to take art classes, but the ones they offer there are 160 pounds for a 12 week session, and they already started earlier this month. I looked online and found many similar programs (none of which I could afford) then, I stumbled across a figure drawing class offered through London School of Economics. There isn't a teacher and you have to bring your own materials, but they have the room and the model and two hours of studio time for 4 pounds. Not a bad deal. While instruction would be nice, I don't really need it since I've taken art my whole life - I feel confident I can improve on my own, albeit at a slower pace. So, those classes start Thursday evening and I needed to buy some materials.

Once we found the Graphic Center I bought charcoals, drawing pencils + eraser/sharpener, a sketch book, a larger sketch book with pull out pages for the figure drawing, and some wax paper to put in between pages so they don't smudge each other. I spent about 24 pounds, which wasn't terrible. After all these things were purchased, Ashley and I went to Oxford Street.

Oxford Street is the premier shopping district of central London. The sheer number of stores lining that street are overwhelming, not to mention that all the department stores are about 7 stories high. There were literally 2 Benetton's and 2 H&M stores within 5 blocks of each other on the same street. It was crazy! All I bought was a nightshirt on sale for 8 pounds at Marks and Spencer's, but I'm glad we went and got to finally see it. But oh the chaos! We were also there during the evening rush hour so I guess that didn't help.

We took the bus home (I seriously thought said bus was going to kill someone because people kept running across the street in front of it). The bus is nice though because you can see things - people, stores, buildings - as opposed to the tube where you don't know where the heck you're going. I then went to Salsa class at 7:30 in case the teacher didn't show up again and I was needed to teach. He did finally show at 8:00 and I helped him teach. Jess, Carly, and Rob were back again, but Andy didn't come because he's in a fight with Carly who chastised him earlier in the day about being selfish for taking the fish tank back that he told Jess she could borrow for the whole school year. Oh the drama. However, once they make up we'll probably all get together during the week and practice some Greek dancing.

After the class Jess and all them were going to a pirate party (i.e. - dress up as pirates and go to this club that plays rock music, drink and dance). They invited me to come, but the instructor (Ephrine) was going to a local salsa club called Cubana and asked if I wanted to come, so I decided to do that instead. I was tired so I only stayed until 11:20 - it was cool though, so I'll have to go back.

Today I took my pencils and sketch pad to Russell Square park to draw some of the things I took pictures of the other day. It is sunny out today, but SO cold. I sat there drawing with my gloves on (not ideal) for a little under an hour before I was so cold my hands felt like they were going to get frostbite and my legs were numb. Finally I walked (a little awkwardly) back to my flat. It has been an hour and my hands still feel a bit off. However, I have part of the fountain drawn and a man sitting on one of the benches. I will make this an ongoing project since it is clear I will not be able to sit out there and finish my drawing in one sitting.

There is a chance of snow tomorrow and Monday, and sleet on Tuesday. I'm pretty excited since I haven't seen snow in ages - I hope their weather predictions aren't as bad as they are in the Charlotte area. The highs are going to be 1 degree Celsius and 2 degrees Celsius. This is 33 and 35 in Fahrenheit. The lows are going to be in the upper 20s (F). This means I will probably not be walking very much in the next few days; however, this also means I can probably get some homework done - yay!

Speaking of homework, off to read some Dorian Gray now.

No comments:

Post a Comment