Monday, January 12, 2009

Orientation and British Library

So I fell asleep last night about midnight, woke up at about 1:20 and I could not fall back asleep until about 4 am, and when I did, it was fitful. We all had to get up at 8 for a day of “orientation.” Needless to say, I’m exhausted. It also did not help that my mattress springs were digging into my ribs. Thankfully tonight should be better because 1, I’m exhausted, and 2, my flatmate Ashley has a 3rd unused bed in her room so I took the duvet off that and put it over my mattress to add an extra layer of padding.

The UNC professor who came over with us (professor Salasi) is a very smart man, but he’s never done this trip before and doesn’t seem to really know all the ins and outs of the program. For example, we are supposed to get library cards for somewhere, and he doesn’t know where or how. *sighs*

They finally fixed my internet so I am now writing from my room which is much more convenient. All of us bought OYSTER cards today (these are swipeable tube passes that get you almost 50% off buying individual fares – you simply put x amount of money on them and then swipe into the turnstile and out of the turnstile).

This afternoon we had a tour of the British Library – it was AMAZING!!! I saw ORIGINAL copies of the Magna Carta (btw, all 4 copies are in England), Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, Shakespeare’s first folio, Beowulf, DiVinci’s journals, and so much more! I didn’t take pictures in there because it was probably illegal and I was afraid if I even took out the camera (even without the flash) I might be jumped by a security guard.

They also have the biggest book in the world at the British Library – a world atlas from the 1600s I think. They also have the smallest book – 1mm squared – it can’t be read unless under super strong magnifiers. It is a children’s nursery rhyme – humpty dumpty or something like that. Cool facts: the British Library is required by law to receive a copy of every single published work in the UK – they have over 200 MILLION books in that location alone. Other storage locations are all over England. The stacks of books go under the library for 22 meters (about six stories or so I think). They also have an amazing six story glass structure in the center of the library which contains the entire library collection of King George III (the crazy one from the last blog). Anyway, his library was given to the British Library after he died with the stipulation that all his books could be seen by the naked eye and accessible to the people – thus they are all there behind the glass and if you are a “reader card” carrying person you may ask to read any that you like. However, to get a “reader card” you have to show prove of address in London and a signature ID and you have to prove that you need access to the library because you can’t get the books you need anywhere else. They favor people who need certain books for research, dissertations etc.

Anyway, the tour was enthralling and I hope I can get a reader card, though I don’t know how I could show proof of London address since I don’t get any bills here. Will work on that…however, after we left there, Ashley and I went to Kings Cross station next door and took the tube with our OYSTERs for the first time the one stop to Russell Square by our flat. It was disgusting weather and I did not feel like walking the whole 20 minutes back. It was warmer today but rained off and on and the sun never came out once.

Tomorrow should be good because it’ll be the first day of classes but I don’t actually have any classes tomorrow so I think I’ll go to the British Museum and start with a particular gallery. Greece? Babylon? Africa? Oh the possibilities…

The Brit Library (notice King's collection on left)




















Me, Ashley, Olivia, Katie B. at these weird standing chairs in the library















the King's collection















Katie B., Lennon, Oliva, Me on this cool book statue at entry

No comments:

Post a Comment