Saturday, January 24, 2009

Covent Garden and New Friends

Pictures: 1) the quintet in Covent Garden - they were amazing!!, 2) Greek perfume bottles from 400 or so BC (double click on the pictures to blow them up - look at the detail!), 3) This is a statue of Kate Moss made by sculptor Marc Quinn out of pure gold. It is called Siren and is presenting Moss as a modern-day Aphrodite - a goddess of our own time. It reminds us of how we have mythologized Moss; how her likeness has become as iconic as the goddesses of the ancient world.


Yesterday (Friday) I didn't wake up until about 12:30, and everyone had left for Borough Market already. That is an outdoor food market under London Bridge (not to be confused with Tower Bridge which is the pretty one). After reading some As You Like It for Shakespeare, I got ready and walked to Covent Garden Market. It was better than the last time I passed through since it was a Friday. There were some wonderful street performers including a quintet and a couple contortionists. The skies had become blue and lovely (after a gray morning), and it was all around a pleasant afternoon. I bought 3 pashminas (scarves) for only 6 pounds which was quite a bargain, but otherwise I just looked.

After that I went to the ULU for lunch and found out that there was salsa class that night so I could hopefully go and meet people in the club. From there I went to the British Museum on the way home and walked through all the Greek and Roman rooms. I saw all the pieces of the Parthenon that the British Museum has somehow gotten a hold of. It's a shame so many of the statues' heads have fallen off over the years.

Anyway, I went back to the ULU at 8:30 for the "intermediate salsa" lesson. I was a few minutes early so I changed my shoes and watched all the beginners and then the Asian guy who was teaching asked if I wanted to join in. I told him that I was just waiting for the upper level class since I actually taught salsa in the US, and he was like "Oh you teach?? Because the teacher didn't show up tonight and I've done this some so I'm just trying to teach them stuff." Well, I ended up teaching with him for the next hour. Everyone else was a brand new beginner, and everyone was British. It was really great to teach again!

I made friends with four of the students particularly: Jess, Carly, Andy, and Rob. They are all in the Vet School (part of the University of London) which is about a 30 minute walk from my area. They are all 19 except for Andy who is 21. Jess is from Blackpool, Carly and Andy (who is originally from Cyprus) are from up around Nottingham (about 1.5 hrs North of London), and Rob is from Ipswich to the West. Anyway, after the salsa lesson, Andy taught me some Greek dances and next week he'll bring some of his other friends who do it with him and music in case the salsa instructor doesn't show up again. Jess already knew some of the dances so she joined us and we were dancing around the room. It was so much fun! I think we may start a Greek dancing club!

Anyway, after we left the dance room the five of us went down to the Duck and Dive bar in the ULU and talked for a while. They were all such wonderful people and so happy to make friends with me. They all live in the same flat complex since they are all in the vet school and it is fairly small. Anyway, they are all very close and it is such a wonderful friendship they have and the way they just invited me into it made me so happy! We wanted to dance at the Duck and Dive, but no one else was dancing, so we all walked to this other pub that Jess thought would have a live DJ, but when we got there, there was no dancing and no DJ. They said it was probably because some guy got stabbed there a few weeks ago in a drunken brawl. But, we will probably go out tonight. Anyway, Andy and Rob walked me home because Carly wasn't feeling well so Jess took her home. It was very kind since I live quite out of the way. Once we got to Russell Square I was like "I can go from here, it's right around the corner," and they were like "No, we're going to walk you to the door, this is London." haha

I'm going to meet a few of them at Harrods in a few hours to do some shopping (or looking lol). I can't even express how happy I am that I have new friends who are so nice and so down to earth. I feel like I finally have a "group" as it were.

Anyway, sorry for this rant, but I am so happy that I just had to gush a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment