Sunday, January 25, 2009

Harrods and St. Paul's Evensong

Yesterday I met Andy at Harrods. Two others were supposed to meet us as well, but bailed out for different reasons. Anyway, I don't know if it's a Greek thing or just an Andy thing, but he loves to shop so he showed me all around the five floors of that MONSTROUS store. It is literally a maze inside and god forbid there should be a fire, everyone would die. They have a pet store, furniture store, electronics, music, toys, china, crystal, restaurants, clothes, shoes, perfume, makeup, a food market, a huge room of just chocolate, candy store, fish market...I mean, it was completely overwhelming. Not to mention that it was the last day of a big sale so it was absolute insanity. However, it was interesting to see everything. I didn't shop at all - shopping like that gives me a headache - but I did buy some very overpriced gelato. lol

Everything except the DVDs was so expensive I don't know how anyone could afford to shop there! We saw this pool table that was commissioned for Queen Victoria in 1887 (or something like that) and it was hand carved all around and simply beautiful. It was 1,000,000 pounds. You could buy three good houses for that in the US. Andy said you could buy one good one here. lol Also, everyone here seems to dress so high fashion - I mean, it's bad when you feel like the men dress better than you do. lol However, I don't really mind - high fashion is way too uncomfortable to be my calling. You should've seen the shoe department - all the heels were at least three inches high!

After that I took the tube back to my flat and just read some Shakespeare and whatnot here. Some of the flatmates went to a pub, but I was too tired. I'm pretty sure I walked several miles inside Harrods alone.

Today Katie B., Bridgette, Lennon, Olivia and I went to St. Paul's Cathedral for the Evensong service at 3:15. It was so beautiful. The atmosphere alone of a place like that is so august that one can't help feeling like he/she is in a place of God. Also, because today is the 2,000th anniversary of the birthday of St. Paul, the Church of England invited a guest preacher today from a Methodist church (since St. Paul represents a non-Jew who came to punish the Jews and then converted - so he was essentially and outsider). Anyway, this minister was so cool! Most services like that are beautiful but the actual sermons are quite dull and hard to understand. This guy spoke about how the Church of England should be more accepting of women in positions of power within the church and how they need to stop worrying about same sex marriage and worry about loving others and overcoming adversity. I was rather shocked the church let him speak! lol Maybe they didn't know what he was going to say. Either way, I think I'm going to go to his home church next Sunday.

It is very cold out now but I'm out of groceries so I should probably go to the Waitrose before it closes. Everything closes early on Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment