Monday, January 19, 2009

Hammersmith Apollo

Photos: 1 & 2) the Hammersmith Apollo, 3) Ashley and me in our seats

Starting with Saturday night - I went salsa dancing on Charing Cross Road. The club's name was creatively called "SALSA!" and it was a lot of fun. I danced with people from Columbia, Brazil, England, Turkey, and Satellite Beach! lol London is such a melting pot of cultures and it was a great experience and the dancers were quite good (not as good as my partners back home, but then again, I'm a bit biased). I went alone so I didn't get any photos, but the place was very big with a really nice dance floor and a restaurant. I look forward to going back!

On Sunday, Katie, Bridgette, Lennon, Travis and I went to Hillsong Church. This is a very famous church based out of Sydney and the bands that perform the worship songs are renowned for their abilities. The service was held in the Old Dominion Theater- so basically it was like going to see a rock concert. lol The message was good, but the preacher seemed a bit distracted - went off on a couple tangents and didn't stay on track quite as well as he could have. I will try it again to see if he was just having an off week. The music, of course, was amazing. There were thousands of people at our service and they have three services every Sunday and are about to add a fourth. However, the service was 2 hours long so by the time we got out at 2:45, we had less than 2 hours of daylight left. Next time we'll go to the 10:30 service.

About six o'clock Ashley was asking me about how to take the tube to get to Hammersmith because she wanted to go see this comedian (Jimmy Carr) at the Hammersmith Apollo theater. We worked out the route, but she called to see if she could buy last minute tickets and the line was constantly busy. She didn't really want to go alone, especially since she wasn't sure if she could get tickets once she took the tube 30 minutes to get there, so she offered to buy me a ticket if I came with her and there were still seats available. I felt sort of bad about that, but she said her mom would love me for it and she'd rather have someone to go with so I agreed.

The theater was crazy busy when we got there - a scalper out front offered us 2 tickets for 30 pounds, but you never know if scalped tickets are legit, so we just went inside to check at the box office. They did still have some seats and we couldn't believe how good they were. 13 rows from the stage with no one on either side of us! I'd never heard of Jimmy Carr, but it was amazingly funny (though a bit vulgar at times).

On our way home we stopped at a pub near our flat and split a pizza on me and got back at 11:45 only to be told that we had to meet with our professor at 10 am. Ick. I didn't get enough sleep so after the complete waste of our time which was the meeting about what we will be doing for our "London experience" class in the future but don't have set plans for yet, I came back and took a nap. I'm about to go do some reading now, but hopefully we'll go out tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment