Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jan 11th - First Day in London

So I woke up at 9 because the heat in my room was making be both stuffy and dried out at the same time (don't ask...) but apparently our room is lucky b/c at least our heat works. Anyway, I ate some good British cereal (called Fruit and Fiber or something) and then Lennon, Katie B., Katie K., Bridgette, and I all went out to shop. We stopped by Starbucks on the way so Katie B. (my roomie) could get some coffee. The first picture is Lennon, Katie K., and me waiting in Starbucks. When we got to Toddenham Court Rd. we realized none of the shops opened until noon since it's Sunday, so we looked around for 20 or so minutes, then we went to buy phones (and I returned my UK to US outlet adapter). All of us now have Virgin mobile phones - it cost 22 pounds for the phone which included 250 free texts, 10 pounds worth of calling money, the phone and the charger. All incoming calls and texts are free within the UK (I'm going to check and see how much rates are for incoming US calls and texts). It costs us 15 pence per minute for outgoing UK calls, and 20 pence per minute for outgoing calls to the US. So really not bad - though I prob. won't use it to call the US unless there is an emergency since I have that skype number. But, if you want it, my UK mobile number is 0791-0917-691.

After we got phones we walked back to the flat but on the way passed Winston House (the UNC owned building on Bedford Square where we will have classes and where UNC Alum and important people get to stay - it is quite nice!). You can see the sign in the second picture (Lennon, Bridgette, Me, Katie K.).

The day was amazingly beautiful, though short. It was blue skies with white puffy clouds and a high of about 50 (though with windchill it was colder). Clearly, we brought the Carolina blue skies with us because London never looks like that in winter lol. We walked through Russell Square (the 4th picture below with Bridgette, Lennon, Katie B., and Katie K.) and enjoyed a bit of the beauty before we had to meet back at Winston House for a walking tour of Bloomsbury (our area). The next picture of the building is this beautiful hotel next to the square called "Hotel Russell."


The walking tour was all right - the British woman who gave it was really nice, had a lovely accent, and had a
wealth of knowledge; however, she tended to go off on tangents about former writers/poets/kings etc. while we stood in a single spot freezing. We walked around about a 4 block radius and didn't see a whole lot, but learned a lot about random things we've already forgotten (but it was interesting at the time). We did get to see a house where Virgina Woolfe lived and another where Gertrude Stein lived and an old pub (the Queen's Larder), the cellar of which was used by Queen Charlotte to store food for King George III when he was staying next door in a mental institution. However, they stored stuff like lemonade and sourkraut in pewter though - which means that the king was slowly being poisoned despite Charlotte's good intensions (which sucks since he already had a disease that made him crazy). And btw - Larder means storage closet for food (like a pantry or fridge). Also, we live across the street from where T.S. Eliot lived. Also, J. M. Kaynes lived nearby us too...and a lot of other famous people.


At one point when we were standing around listening to the tour guide this British guy walked up and just stood there (smoking) and the woman said "can I help you" and he said "no, I just wanted to listen to your interesting stories." She was clearly not happy and sort of moved away and then asked him to please stop infecting the lungs of "her babies." He made some smartass comment "you look good for having 10 kids" - but she ignored him. Then he interuppted her again in the middle of a story and she acted like she didn't hear him then said "I'll take questions at the end." But as soon as she finished that story she started walking away swiftly until the guy was left behind with his friends. She kept mumbling stuff about the flypaper effect and kept looking over her shoulder to make she he was gone. It was pretty funny how disturbed she was.

By the time she was done it was almost dark (sunset 4:15pm) and everyone was so cold we couldn't feel our extremities. (If it had been more of a walking tour and less of a standing tour, it probably wouldn't have been so bad). One of the girls from the room next to me (Ashley) and I walked over to the area where I lived last time (a couple blocks from our current flats) and we found a full sized grocery store (as opposed to the small Tesco). It was called Waitrose. I bought tissues, dish soap, sponges, and more food - then we found a shop that sold stick on wall hooks and hangers and a bunch of other random stuff, then on the way back to the flat I found a shop that had one of those hats with ear flaps and umbrellas (both of which I bought because 1) it's freezing here, and 2) it's supposed to rain tomorrow).

We also briefly went through the British museum on our tour - and I'm so excited that we live 5 minutes from it. I think I'll pick a different section to conquer each different day I go so I don't get overwhelmed. They have a few new exibits that are modern sculptures and one of them is a sculpture of this guy's huge head (the artist I believe). It was incredible - each hair and pore on his face was visible. I really wanted to touch it - but the sign read very clearly "Do Not Touch"...I have no idea what it was made out of but it was incredible - I think Heather would appreciate the art (see picture). We also saw these fake skulls that were painted awesome psychadellic colors. I forgot to take a picture though.

Anyway now we're all in the top flat's living room and I'm using the internet I'm scamming off a neighbor since mine (and only 1 other girl's) won't work yet. We're going to see management tomorrow.

Orientation starts at 9 am tomorrow until 4 pm with a 1.5 hr lunch break...should be a long day. Hopefully they'll tell us if they are going to replace our toilet paper and trash bags when they clean once a week or not. One of the guys can actually cook amazingly and made us all pasta last night and pizza tonight. I bought bag of cookie mix and Katie K. is making those now. We are all getting along fabulously and everyone is so nice!

Sorry this is so long...you don't have to read it all. ;)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment