Sunday, January 11, 2009

Arrived in London

Flight was 1.5 hrs delayed on the tarmac, but the flight to Heathrow was pretty good overall. Not very much turbulence and the nice flight attendant gave me an eye mask even though no one else got one ;) Also, I was in the window seat and there was one seat to my left and no one sat there which meant that I could use both seats - this def. helped with sleeping!

Oh, this was funny - there were two British guys in front of me reading a British paper, and when I looked at their paper between the seats, I noticed the article they were reading was about that man who wants his kidney back from his wife. I think it's pretty funny that the British paper picks up this one crazy, rather humiliating American story for their trashy paper (in case anyone doesn't know, British tv news is really good and their papers are really sucky - opposite of here).

I took the tube all the way from Heathrow to Russell Sq. (like 50 minute ride) with my duffel, 2 rolly suitcases, and a book bag. I took of 2 seats and a lot of aisle. I tried to ignore the dirty looks thrown my way as more and more ppl crowded onto the car. Once the tube (subway) leaves Heathrow it goes above ground for a while and I could see frost/lightly snow covered fields and trees and cars (see pictures on right). There was a golf course that looked like it was something out of a fairy tale. When I finally got to my stop I tried to get off with all my bags and literally tripped out of the train car b/c my bag was so heavy - a lot of people saw me. How embarrassing.

On the plus side, I knew my way around the area from last time and made it to my flat without even looking at a map. I LOVE my flat btw - I have a double room with a girl named Katie and there is a triple room next door but they only have 2 girls in it. There is a living room, kitchen (equipped), TV, 2 bathrooms. If you go up the stairs there is a duplicate flat where the rest of our program participants live (2 boys and 3 girls).

We went out and got some groceries/toiletries in the 24 degree weather tonight. It got dark at 4:15. Yeah...and I bought a plug adapter for America instead of the UK. However, at least I have milk and cereal for breakfast. Food is cheaper here, but once you factor in the exchange rate, its the same if not more.

Tomorrow we have a walking tour of our neighborhood (Bloomsbury) at 2 pm - considering its almost 10pm now, I'll need to sleep in. I got about 5 hrs on the plane (maybe). Well, thanks for reading the rambling - will post pictures soon!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment