Sunday, February 1, 2009

SNOW!

Pictures: 1) Russell Square gardens monument, 2) Me eating the snow on our street, 3) "Singing in the Snow" in Russell Square gardens last night, 4) Katie K, Me, Bridgette in the street last night, 5) the view from our back windows, 6) Me in Bloomsbury Square today, 7) me with the law people and our snowman




Not a whole lot happened yesterday (I finished reading Picture of Dorian Gray), BUT last night it started snowing and it has just been coming down ever since. SO, we went out and took snow pictures last night! Then today, everyone went to get burritos for lunch but I had just woken up and eaten breakfast, so I stayed back and got ready to go out in the snow (which was really thick).



I walked over to Russell Square garden (where I drew the other day), but it was locked because the government workers who are supposed to lock/unlock it every day were off of work due to the snow. So, I took pictures through the gates then walked the other way down the street to Bloomsbury Square. Those gates were also locked, but there were people inside playing and having snowball fights, so I was walking around it trying to figure out how to get in and I asked one of the guys and he showed this other girl and I how to climb over.




I had a brief snowball fight with them (he was from Urania and she was from Rome). Then I sort of wandered off to look around the rest of the little park and there was a big group of English people having a snowball fight and I heard one of them say "Get the girl in the red trousers" and next thing I know, a snowball hits me. So I laugh and start throwing some at then, but mid throw on the second one I slip and fall on my butt. It was quite funny. So I start hanging out with them, throwing snowballs and whatnot. I found out that they all worked at a nearby law office and this is what they were doing today. Tough job.

Some of them were younger because you don't have to go to law school here to become a lawyer - the company just takes you in and trains you for 4 years. They were doing IP law...whatever that is.

Then we all decided to make a snowman, and boy was it huge! It was quite amusing watching the guys trying to lift the 2nd ball on top of the first one. After we finished it and took pictures with our snowman, they had to go back in b/c 1) they were freezing and 2) they probably should actually do a bit of work today. However, I wonder if they'll get snowed in. Public transit gets severely delayed or shut down when it snows this much. One of the guys said it took him three hours to get to work. I don't understand why the tubes would have so many problems since they're under ground, but apparently they do.



All the guys helped the girls back over the fence and then they were off and I walked back to the flat. On my way it started really snowing buckets and it was actually going in my eyes. My black coat was white when I reached my doorstep. It hasn't stopped snowing all day long and it's 2:37 pm here. I've never seen snow like this. I asked one of the law people if it snowed like this very often, and he said "No, never - that's why everyone is so excited!" So, I guess there are benefits to coming here in the coldest winter in 15 years. I love snow.

It's supposed to continue snowing till 3 am then no snow tomorrow, and then snow on Wed through Friday. We'll see - that would be so exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment