Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lots of studying!

I've been doing very little since I got home from Stratford besides studying. I have a presentation and a paper due in WWII class on Wednesday (I finally finished both!) and I also need to read several books for various classes. Last night we went to see "Taming of the Shrew" for our Shakespeare class and I did NOT like it. I can't believe Shakespeare would be so anti-feminist! I am supposed to read the play by Wednesday, but I think I will just read the Cliff's Notes in sheer protest!

This morning my class went to the Cabinet War Rooms where we met Professor Mann (our WWII teacher). I have been there before, but they are really cool! The rooms are still exactly as they were during the war, as if (and in many cases this is true) they turned off the lights and walked out the day the war ended and never went back. I got to see Churchill's office and sleeping quarters, the room where his speeches were broadcasted to the BBC, the map rooms which were covered in maps and when you looked close you could see tiny pin pricks all over them where there were once pins representing a ship of one sort or another. There were typist rooms and telephone rooms, a private dining room for Churchill, bunkers for the lower class people (like the typists) and small, individual rooms for the important people. All of this was under ground beneath a 6 foot thick steel and concrete contraption. It is unlikely this would have done any good in the event of a direct hit by the bombs, but luckily they never hit the site directly. These are the rooms where the Nazi code was deciphered and where Churchill found out that Coventry would be bombed. He had to make a decision then - warn Coventry and evacuate, clearly alterting the Nazi's that they'd cracked the code - or let Coventry take it. He decided to let them take it, and watched in sorrow as many people suffered that terrible night of the blitz.

Anyway, it was really neat, but I didn't sleep well last night so I was quite tired and just came home and finished my WWII paper. Now I think I shall do some other reading, if I don't fall asleep. lol

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I am loving exploring England with you...keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - it's like a little history lesson every time :). And you're totally starting to use little British-sounding phrases in what you write. I'm sure it's getting in your head, because I remember starting to think in a British accent when I was only there for 5 days in 2001!

    ReplyDelete