Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tues Night/Wed in Athens

Pictures: 1) view from the restaurant where I had lunch with Lucky on Tues, 2) Paul, Mickael, and Jerome being silly at dinner, 3) again, 4) the acropolis by night


Last night after finishing reading the Bleak House spark notes (which took about three hours) and figuring out my paper topic, the roomies returned. Paul came in quite distraught - his wallet had been pick-pocketed from his bag. He lost 50 euros, his license, and one credit card. I commiserated with him, but reminded him it could have been worse (like when I lost mine with 100 pounds, 2 cards, student card, and tube pass). OH, by the way, the hostel found my retainers so I have them back now!! I was SO excited - after only a week of not wearing them they were already tight - so glad I didn’t have to go three months without wearing them - my teeth would look terrible when I returned!

For a while we sat around talking, until we decided to go get dinner about 10:30 (normal Greek time). We found a place where (surprise, surprise) I got a pork gyro. Lol Afterward I got some amazing ice cream and the total of both was 6 euros.

When we got back to the hostel about 11:30 we talked some more until about 1. We talked about movies and songs, and it was funny trying to figure out if a movie I spoke of was one they’d seen but with a different name in France. I then showed them my blog with the pictures from the night before and I was reading it out loud (slowly) and Paul was reading over my shoulder and when he saw that I was calling Chris “Sheeps” he said “No, no, not sheeps. Sheeps.” And then he made a motion like he was eating chips. Apparently this whole time they had been calling him “Chips” but pronouncing it “Sheeps” because they are French. I started laughing so hard I was crying. We were all in fits of laughter. Afterward we practiced saying “chips” with the ‘ch’ sound instead of the ‘sh’ sound. Then we looked up this tv series on IMDB and found out that it was from 1977 and it is called Chips (and all the cops in the show wear huge glasses). Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop calling Chris “Sheeps” in my head. Lol

They went out at 1 am since it was their last night, and I called home then went to bed. Today we all checked out and left our stuff at reception while we went shopping. I finally found a pair of Greek sandals I wanted for 18 euros. They are real leather and I think they are pretty cool looking.

The rest of the day I’m going to work on my paper and then meet Olga (a couch surfer girl) at 8:30 - we’ll drop my stuff at her place, make dinner, then meet up with some other couch surfers for a get-together (and maybe see some dancing). Tomorrow morning I leave for that other city in Greece where Anna from Ireland will host me. She works at a children’s play center with animals and trampolines and swing sets and such, so she said if I want I can go to work with her a little bit (her father owns it so she works there part time). That sounds like

No comments:

Post a Comment