Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mom and Dad leave and first day in Athens

Pictures: On my way to the hostel, acropolis by night, in front of a church, Charlene and Esther, me with fries in restaurant






On Wednesday Mom and Dad and I all walked to the National Gallery to see some of the famous works of art (which I’d already seen but are always cool) then we had lunch at Pret A Manger and stopped by the grocery on the way home. Mom made a delicious meat loaf dinner while I was in class (or re-heated the meat loaf and made new potatoes and green beans etc). I came home after taking my Shakespeare final exam and we ate, then I went to my WWII class which was only 45 minutes after which the class and both teachers went to a pub. We had a good time talking and whatnot, and it was a good end to the semester.

On Thursday we took the train to Oxford where we walked around for a while before going to Magdalene College (where Sylvia’s husband used to teach). All the flowers were in bloom and it was BEAUTIFUL. The meadow at Magdalene was awash with these purple rare flowers that I can’t remember the name of. After that we took a taxi to Sylvia’s house where she served tea and lemon cake and we all chatted. It was nice to see her one last time.

Friday was gray and rainy and I felt as though it mirrored my mood. I was sad all day at the thought of leaving London. Mom and Dad and I tried to go to the Sir John Soan's Museum, but it was closed because it was good Friday. Instead we went to Borough Market and got Greek lamb burgers and yummy chocolate covered blueberries/cashews/peanuts/raisins. Then we walked to St. Paul's which was open to the public for prayers (normally it's 11 pounds to get in). It was a nice rest and then we came back to my flat and I packed. It was sad.

I took the train very early this morning to Stanstead airport (outside London) where my flight to Athens left at 10:30. I arrived in Athens 4:30 local time then took the bus to some square that starts with an S. lol I got so motion sick on the bus, but luckily it stopped right before I thought I'd throw up. Athens looks a bit like Miami but with big mountains around it. There are palm trees and some smaller trees, but no forests like in Charlotte.

Some nice older Greek man helped point out where I needed to go for my hostel and I found it just fine. It is very close to the Acropolis. It's pretty nice too - there are 2 other girls who I hung out with tonight (Charlene and Esther) and 2 guys who seem nice (they are at the party the hostel is having in the basement tonight). There is a private bathroom and the beds are comfy.
We ate at this yummy restaurant tonight and I got so much food for 6.5 euros. I had pork on pitas with tzakiki sauce and French fries and tomato. Mmm. We also walked around and took pics of the acropolis by night. I will also get to see Esther and Charlene in Santorini as they are coming while I'm there! It's been a great day and I'm pooped so I'll write more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment