Friday, April 17, 2009

Santorini on Friday

Today was a lazy day. I was going to go with Tony to Akrotiri to see the light house, but he wasn’t feeling too well. I took my book down to the beach where I ran into Vanessa and Andrew and we all laid around for several hours (she was applying loads of baby oil to her already super-olive skin, and I was pasting on the sun block lol). Tony joined us after a while and we all talked/read/listened to our ipods. I finally got the guts to go into the water (which is SO cold). However, once I was out there a little bit, it got a bit better and the water is so salty that you float easily. I was also amazed at how clear it was - I really wished I had a snorkel mask because about 10 feet out the rock ledge drops off and it gets deeper and the bottom is sandy white with lovely rock formations. If there were no waves I could have seen it clearly just by looking downward. It was nice to be able to see what was around me in the ocean. I have definitely never swum in water that clear.

I left the beach after a while to come back, shower, and use the internet. I also got some bad news. When I was in Athens I left the hostel in the middle of the night while another girl was sleeping, so I had to pack in the dark. I thought I’d gotten everything, but I realized a day and a half later that I’d left my box with my retainers in it on the ledge below the window behind the curtains. I called the hostel right away and the girl said the maid hadn’t mentioned anything and that she’d check in the morning, but I just got an email saying they have been looking everywhere and haven’t found them. I don’t know why anyone would steal them, so maybe someone just threw them away? I don’t know, but I do know that I’m very distressed. Not only are they $200 to replace, but by the time I get back, my teeth will have shifted (especially since my last wisdom tooth is coming in). I’m going to stop by the hostel when I return to Athens on Monday, but if they still haven’t been found, I don’t know what I will do. I’m very upset. (Everyone who knows me knows how careful I am about my teeth). It is going to be so hard to keep up with all my things going from one place to the next…I suppose everything I lose will make me more careful the next time. *sighs*

Tonight I might just go down to the beach to see the stars - they are very beautiful here since there are no clouds. That's about it. Tomorrow I think I'll go to Akrotiri.

No comments:

Post a Comment