Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Monday night and Tuesday in Santorini

Pictures: 1) view from Fira down to the port, 2) Oia, 3) Denise, Maria-Fernanda, Me in Fira, 4) Maria-Fernanda and me in Oia port, 5) Sisterhood port!, 6) Maria and me on the red beach, 7) Maria, me and Lauren from Duke in Oia











Monday night I walked down the beach to this gyro place and ordered a pork gyro (pita with pork, lettuce, tomato, tzaiki) for 2 euros - can’t beat that. There were two American girls in front of me and I asked where they were from - one was from around Las Vegas and the other from Connecticut but both were studying in England (one at Oxford one at Essex). I ended up eating by the beach with Alex and Kristi (their names) and they told me about a great restaurant to try sometime and that their hostel had free wi-fi (in case I decide to try it out lol). Hopefully I’ll see them again before we leave.


Tuesday morning I ran into the people living in the room next to mine in the hotel. They are a mother (Denise) and daughter (Maria Fernanda - age 20) from Brazil. They told me they were thinking about renting a car to go around the island and did I want to join? I said definitely! We got a car for 24 hours for 20 euros (because I told the people I’d heard it was 20 elsewhere - which I had). First we drove to the red beaches of Akrotiri which were so beautiful. They are red because of the phase of burning they received from the volcanic eruption.


Next we drove to Fira, stopping periodically to take pictures on the way. The whole island is so beautiful it is hard to believe your eyes. In Fira we walked around and looked in many shops (it is the capital so there are the most there). I bought a bathing suit for 15 euros (the cheapest I could find since they aren’t in season yet) and a sterling silver toe ring (with an ancient stair step design) for 5 euros. We had more gyros for lunch (I got chicken this time) and then we drove to Oia’s small port.



At the port in Oia we got out of the car and I knew immediately that this was it - the place from the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie where so much of the action takes place. I saw where Lena jumps off the dock into the water, where the fishing boats were, the rock where the girls sat to watch the sunset - I was beyond ecstatic and I was SO wishing my girls from Chapel Hill, my inspiration for my own young adult novel, were there with me to experience it. However, Maria Fernanda and I had a great time. The water was perfectly clear and a mix of greens and blues. The waves were again, large, which made sense since the wind was blow-you-over strong. It was okay in the sun, but by the evening we were quite cold.




After exploring the port we decided to drive up to the town (it’s on the top of the cliffs and you can take a donkey up or walk, but it would take a while). We took the long way, exploring more countryside. When we got there we parked and started walking along the little winding footpaths between the houses and shops. And then, when we got to the main area that overlooked the Caldera and the port, WOW. It is the town on all the postcards, and it looks just as beautiful. So many lovely white buildings with blue roofs. Little paths of steps twisting between everyone’s home and business and a view of the sunset that is famous all over the island. I wish I were staying in Oia now. Lol




We picked a nice wall with a great view to sit on to watch the sunset, and even though we were freezing as the sun went down, it was beautiful - however, because there were a few clouds, it was not the best it could have been so we plan to go back. While sitting there we also met a girl from Duke (named Lauren) who we talked with for a while. She is living in Madrid on some sort of graduate program and said I am welcome to stay with here when I’m there. Sweet!
I am meeting so many amazing people - it makes you wonder how many people in this life we are missing out on meeting by living in one place.




After sunset we drove back to Perissa and used the internet (but they were closing in 45 min so I didn’t have time to write my blog) and then we showered, changed, and went to dinner (at 11 pm!). That is a normal dinner time around here. We went to the restaurant the girls on the beach had told me about and I had spaghetti (being a bit tired of gyros) and steamed veggies all for 8 euros (no tipping in Greece anywhere - it is already added in). I was STUFFED. The man and wife who own the restaurant are wonderful people (the woman is from Illinois and the man is from here). They used to live in Chicago, but he missed his home so much and was so sick of the concrete they moved back here. I am amazed to hear her speak Greek - she said she is learning more everyday and that her son and daughter (pre-school and 5th grade) help her. Lol


It is now Wed morning and I think we may go see the volcano today. Update later!

No comments:

Post a Comment