Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Monday and Tuesday in Athens


Pictures: 1) my Greek salad for lunch (and the stuff I picked out on the left), 2) Sarah, Chris (Sheeps), Mickael, Jerome, Paul (center) me in club, 3) all of us with the waiter in front at the dancing club, 4) dancing with Paul








After meeting up with the waiter, Lucky, for a coffee (well, he had coffee, I had water) I took a nap. After I woke up my roommates in the hostel returned - they are three French guys. Paul (24), Mickael (27), and Jerome (25). Paul is getting what I think is a masters in history so he can teach, Mickael works in computer science, and Jerome works at a water treatment plant. They came here because Paul wanted to see the history in Athens. They are all very nice and try very hard to understand my “very fast” English. Lol I try to speak more slowly, and we have interesting conversations trying to figure out what each other mean. I went to dinner at Lucky’s restaurant where it was again “on the house” and came back so full I could barely walk. I sat around with the guys chatting until we decided to join Chris and Sarah (who work in the hostel) at a club nearby. Chris has very big glasses and the French guys all call him “Sheeps” after some American cop show from the 80s or something.





At the club we sat around talking, and it was very interesting because Chris (Sheeps) is from Sweden, Sarah is from Finland, the guys are French and I’m American. It was a good time (minus the smoke in the place). Sheeps, Paul and I really wanted to dance, so we went to a different bar that had good dance music. Sheeps, being gay, was quite the dance enthusiast, and Paul was very good as well. Sarah, Sheeps, Paul and I danced for at least an hour before I got very tired. They were going to go to yet another club (at 1:30 am) but they walked me back to the hostel first.





It struck me as cool that the French guys, though not gay, were cool with hanging out with such a flagrantly gay guy like Sheeps. I think he amused them (and all of us) to no end.
I went to bed after doing things online around 2:30 am, but they didn’t get back until about 5 am!





I wasn’t sure if I was going to stay in the hostel again tonight, but I decided I would and Wednesday night I’m going to stay with a couch surfing host. Thursday morning I’ll take a train to Patras, Greece, then a train to Agrinion where an Irish girl who lives there now will host me for a few days before I head for Italy. Her house is close to the forest and the beach, which will be nice.





Today I went to the port with Lucky where we had lunch by the water which was nice (he said we had to go there because it was his favorite). I had penne pasta with chicken and veggies. It was nice to have something other than a gyro for once.





Now I’m back in the hostel sitting on my top bunk listening to Paul play “Oh Susanna” on his harmonica while the other 2 hum along. I just enlightening them to the fact that the song actually has words and I will look them up in a second (since I can only remember the chorus). Haha, now he’s playing Davy Crocket (this is making me laugh).





After this I’m going to finish reading the Bleak House spark notes (I don’t have time to finish the book) then start thinking about my paper. Around 8 the guys and I will probably go to dinner.
Don’t know what I’ll do tomorrow - probably more paper writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment