Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Verona and Venice day 1


Pictures: 1) off the river in Verona, 2) Juliet's balcony, 3) statue of Juliet, 4) the area that beyond which the dog almost got me, 5) Verona by night, 6) in Venice, 7) taking the ferry to San Marco's Square, 8) in the square, 9) pretty

I arrived in Verona at 2:20 pm, then found the bus that would go near the only hostel in Verona (which of course was on the opposite side of the town). The bus ride was only 20 minutes, but I was sure glad they didn’t check tickets since I forgot to get one. When I arrived at the last stop, I had to walk uphill about 8 minutes to get the hostel, but it felt like 20. When I finally got there I was sweating and breathing like I’d just been in a fight. I couldn’t check in yet, since they have lock-out hours until 5 pm, but they kept my luggage for me and I took a map I’d gotten in the train station with the major sights circled and headed out.

First I went to the Duomo of Verona and paid 4 euros for a pass to see all 5 churches. I only saw 2, but each one is individually 2.50 so I still saved money and the pass is good for one year. After the Duomo I went to Santa Anastassia (another one of the churches). Both were very beautiful and built between the 1200s and 1300s. From there I went to the Piazza Dei Signori and Piazza Erbe where there were outdoor markets and famous statues. I bought a calzone and fresh fruit cup for lunch and 2 small souvenirs (a mini player’s mask and a necklace of Murano glass).

“Juliet’s House” was near the Piazzas so I went there next. I think it is the house of the family that Shakespeare’s Capulets were based off of. Inside it also holds the bed and costumes from the 1960s version of Romeo and Juliet which is considered one of the best versions. I watched it in 9th grade, so it was pretty cool to see the stuff. In the courtyard there is also a famous statue of Juliet. I still don’t know if the house was worth 4.50, but none-the-less, I can say I was there.
After that I walked down to the old Roman Arena, which I believe they still have shows in. I didn’t pay to go inside (since I’ve seen so many Roman theatres at this point), but I peeked through the arches and made my way onward to Castelvecchio (the castle) where I paid 4.50 to go inside and see the artifacts and art. Again, not sure it was worth it, but there were a lot of really old art works and statues inside so that was neat. One painting I think I may have recognized, so I snuck a picture of it.

Finally, having seen almost everything, I walked back to the hostel and checked in. It is 17 euros for a bed and breakfast in the morning, so not bad. Behind the hostel there is a lovely courtyard with flowers and such, so I walked around there after I got settled.

As I walked I saw some steps leading upward, so I took them, but at some point they were covered with a lot of foliage and I was worried about snakes, so I went instead toward this marble monument looking thing. There were two sets of stairs going up and meeting in the middle, but the opening in the middle that led toward a cool looking castle thing with more stairs was blocked with a fence. I really wanted to see the other ruins and since there was no one around, I jumped over the concrete wall next to the fence. I started to climb the ancient steps, hoping they’d lead to the top of the big hill I could see from in front of the hostel. The stairs were very worn and it was a bit dark inside, so I used my phone for light. I came to a hall that led toward the light, and I followed it, thinking I’d come out to some overlook, but when I got there, I was in the yard of someone’s house I guess, because as soon as I appeared a dog in the yard saw me and started barking wildly and running toward me. I started backing away, but didn’t run (I didn’t want to be attacked from behind) and I said “It’s okay, it’s okay.” The dog (some king of bull dog I think) ran up to me, but then ran away again, barking like crazy, so I RAN back down the hallway and down the steps (without the light from my phone this time!). When I got down to the flat piazza by the wall I thought I was safe, but then the dog came tearing down some other steps that I hadn’t noticed. I ran for the wall, but I knew I couldn’t reach the part that was easiest to climb over before the ferocious dog did. So, I threw my bag up and then used all my strength to haul myself on top of the wall - it was about chest high. The dog was right on my heals and may have even gotten my shoe a little bit. All I know is that as I pulled my left leg up behind me, his head was right by my foot. Thank god those are short dogs and the wall was tall, because I couldn’t easily jump down on the other side because of the steps (making the drop rather large and uneven). After a breath, I calculated just how to jump without falling, and then ran away from the still barking dog.

I was so scared that I was shaking and my heart raced for a good 10 minutes. I tried to calm myself by walking through the safe part of the hostel’s garden (which may have been a mistake because my allergies got worse 10 fold afterward). I noticed that I had scraped both legs a little bit, but not enough to draw blood.

Anyway, I guess that teaches me to climb things I shouldn’t. It was so weird though because most dogs here are so docile, but man, this thing seemed like it wanted to rip my leg off. I’m just lucky it changed its mind the first time when it saw me.

Now I’m sitting in Piazza Erbe waiting to meet Natasha (a Cser) for a coffee or something before I go back to the hostel and go to bed. I have to wake up pretty early since breakfast ends at 9 am, and I have to catch a train to Padua, store my stuff at the station, and then go to Venice for the day before returning to Padua and making dinner with my CS host, Tiziano.

So, Natasha arrived and she walked with me to meet friends of hers at a Kebab place. There were about 4 other girls and one guy. The kebab I got was really good and big for 3.50 euros. From there we walked to a bar and talked for a little bit. Natasha treated me to a bottled water, and everyone else had either a coke or beer. Natasha asked me about differences between American and Italy, and so we mostly talked about those and school etc. At 11:30 one of her friends got the car and drove me back to my hostel (with Natasha in the car as well). We stopped on the way to look out over the city which was beautiful lit up by night.

I got back to the hostel at 11:45, showered and went to bed, waking up at 8:15 to get ready and eat breakfast. At “breakfast” (rolls and jelly) I sat with the only other person in the room, and Australian guy from Tazmania named Luke. He has already been traveling 5 weeks, and is on his way down through Italy then to Greece then London for a week. I told him things he should do in all the places, and I got his info so I could email him any other tips I have. As we were finishing up, another guy (named Paul from Canada) talked to us a little bit. I swear, Lukes and Pauls are following me around! (Not to mention I have met so many Australians and Canadians).

I then took the bus to the train station and the train to Venice where I left my luggage in storage and set out (after paying 2.50 for a map). I just sort of wandered over bridges and through alleyways until I came to a ferry port. From there I paid 6.50 to cross the big channel to San Marco’s Square. In the square there were wonderful musicians playing - mostly violins and pianos I think. I wandered around, looking in all the Murano glass shops, and I bought a 15 euro Murano glass and Italian leather watch - which promptly stopped working as soon as I left the shop. So, I went back and the woman replaced the battery, and it appeared to be working, but some time later I looked at my watch and realized it had stopped again. I then realized that the second hand was occasionally getting stuck on the minute hand. I’m going to try and go back tomorrow and have them replace or fix it (or give me my money back, because I saw the same watch elsewhere for 12 later).

Next I went to the basilica in the square which was built in the 1100s and it was BEAUTIFUL. The ceiling was all gold tiles and there were 5 domes in the ceiling. After that I started doing some serious jewelry shopping and I also stumbled upon a leather shop where I got a wonderfully soft, Italian leather purse for 18 euros. And I bought a Venetian players mask as well. Haha

That was pretty much it for today, but tomorrow I think I’ll go to the glass blowing island (Murano) and the lace manufacturing island (Burano) off of the mainland of Venice - they are supposed to be beautiful.

From Venice I took the tran to Padua (or Padova in Italian) where I met with Tiziano, my host, and he made pasta while I made cream cheese cookies. However, I accidently forgot the sugar...so the first batch was pretty bad, but he seemed to like them. He told me I should go to those islands off Venice tomorrow, and circled other cool places on my map. He is 25 and studying at university and interning at the bank and working some with his dad who is an accountant. Busy busy! He gave me the keys so I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn tomorrow - thank goodness!











No comments:

Post a Comment