Thursday, May 7, 2009

Last day in Florence

Pictures: 1) The David, 2) in Fregorie, 3) sunset in Fregorie, 4) moon in Fregorie





















Today I went on another free walking tour of Florence and we got to see the inside of a house from the middle-ages (1300s) and had some of the best gelato in town. After the tour I came back to the hostel to work on the computer, then went to the Academia Gallery where the David is. The David is really impressive and I snuck a couple pictures. J There were also some pieces of marble that Michelangelo started carving but never finished, so that was pretty neat as well.
Later I had dinner with a couple hostel-mates and then we took a but to Fregorie which is on top of this mountain and from there you can see all of Florence and watch the sunset. It was beautiful.

Will write more later/add pics. So tired and tomorrow I’m going to Pisa and then Cinque Terra.




OK, so, I have a bit of time to type now. A guy staying in my room in Florence was named Matthew and he made friends with an Indian woman, and we’ll call her India because I can’t remember her name. I had dinner with them in the hostel’s dining room, and then another guy in my room, Eli, was supposed to meet us to go to Fregorie for the sunset. However, Eli didn’t show up, so the three of us, plus one of India’s hostel mates (Caitlyn) grabbed a bus to go up the mountain. I got really car sick on the way up, and I was so glad when we stopped. Garlic pizza plus milk plus cookies for dinner does not sit well when you are taking a lurching bus up windy roads.



Once we got there the four of us climbed up a hill and when we reached the top- - WOW. We could see all of Florence including the Duomo and the Piazza Michelangelo where I’d watched the sunset the first night. The view was quite breathtaking. Right as the sun was setting, and we could literally see the orange ball descending behind the mountains in the distance, Eli ran up the hill. He’d gotten caught up in a Galileo exhibit in Florence. After sunset, the sky turned pinkish and then the whole city lit up. The moon was nearly full, and I got some cool pictures of it.
Before the sun went down, we walked further up the hill to this monetary on top with a church. Inside we heard singing, so we went in and the monks were singing the evensong prayers in Latin. It was very ethereal.


Finally, when all the light was pretty much gone from the sky, we took the bus back to the city and got *more* gelato. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment