Wednesday, June 2, 2010

After the Fact - the last post

Reflecting on my 6 months abroad, I realize it was not only the best experience of my life so far, but also a time in which I grew more than I can ever previously remember. The time I spent in Europe, meeting new people, learning new cultures, and generally having the opportunity to do my own thing and take care of myself completely changed my outlook on life. I came home and saw my country with new eyes. I see ways in which we could improve, I notice injustices and prejudices I didn't see before, and I realize that Americans work too hard. In general, Americans don't like to hear this assessment. We are proud of our Puritan spirit of hard work, no fun. Europeans are seen as lazy and indulgent. Well, I'm sorry, but if lazy and indulgent = happiness, and hardworking and money-making = stress and no family time, I'll take lazy and indulgent any day. This is not to say I cannot also see things that only America has to offer - wide open wilderness for example, but when I compare apples to apples, I think I'd take a less luxurious life with more joy than an over-abundant one with less. Perhaps this idea is what made me take several part-time jobs teaching dance, tutoring, and selling Mary Kay upon returning home, instead of going into the corporate life most of my friends and family expected me to start living.

I still want to be a writer, though unfortunately, I still haven't had time to finish my book yet. However, in the interim, I'm enjoying what I'm doing. I can't imagine sitting at a desk 9 or 10 hours a day, coming home, and having but a couple hours before needing to hit the sack only to rise again at 6 am. Sorry, I'm more European than that! ;)

This summer I will truly be able to compare the two continents. I am taking a cross-country road trip of the USA (though I am bringing along a Spaniard and a German to ease the transition). I am thrilled to see the wild west, the Pacific wonders, and cornfields up to my eyeballs. Can it compare to my European adventure? Hmmm...guess we'll just have to see.

Anyway, if you want to keep following the crazy adventures of, well, me, I started a second blog: lkbailey2.blogsot.com. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment