Thursday, July 2, 2009

Madrid

Pictures: Frank and Lies with train station; me in Plaza Mayor; Lies and me waiting for the Prado museum; with the palace and gardens; with Lies at the Sol station




We arrived in Madrid about 5:30 pm on Sunday and walked to our CSers house. His name is Alvaro and he draws and teaches comics for a living. He also plays piano really well. After we got there we walked around Madrid with Alvaro and saw thee center square and went to an Italian restaurant and just enjoyed the day. It was really cool and I enjoyed Madrid much more than I thought I would - it actually reminded me of London a lot.

When we got back to Avlaro’s we had a little “jam session.” Alvaro played the piano, Lies and I sang, then Alvaro and Lies switched and she played for a while, while he drew comics on the computer (which were amazing, btw). I tried drawing on the computer and it was so hard!

Anyway, we stayed up late and Lies and I slept in until after noon on Monday. When we finally got out the door we just walked the same route Alvaro had taken us the night before, but we did some shopping and just enjoyed not having a schedule. The museums are all closed on Mondays, so we couldn’t do that. We were really tired by the end of the day, so we came home and cooked pasta for the three of us and tried to go to bed around 12:30, but it took me a long time to fall asleep because I keep thinking about coming home and I’m so excited it’s hard to sleep.

On Sunday morning Frank, Lies’ boyfriend, flew in, and she went to the airport to get him. I chilled at home until they got back and then the three of us went to Prado (the main Madrid museum) and then I went to the botanical gardens while they went back to Alvaro’s get to get Lies’ stuff since she and Frank had a hotel for the next 2 nights.

The museum was really good and it was free because from 6 to 8 pm you get in without charge. I saw more famous paintings - I’m so lucky to have seen so many in my travels. The botanical gardens were also beautiful, though most of the flowers weren’t in bloom since it is the middle of summer.

That night I went out to dinner with Alvaro and his cousin Lorena who is my age. She was so cool and we had such a good time talking - we have a lot in common and we planned to meet the next morning to go shopping because it was the Madrid equivalent of black Friday. I met her at a mall the next day at 11 am and we shopped until 2 pm and then I came back to Alvaro’s to take a siesta. At 8 pm I met Alvaro, Lies, and Frank at the central tube station called Sol and we went to get doner kebabs for dinner. Afterward we walked to a book shop that actually had some English books so Lies and I both got one. After that we walked down this main shopping street which looked so much like Oxford Street in London and ended at a big fountain and statue of Don Quixote. By then I was tired so Alvaro and I went back to go to sleep and Lies and Frank went out to a tapas bar.

Today I met Frank and Lies at the train station and we are now on our way to Sevilla. We’re all really excited, and it’s our last new location before returning to Madrid and flying home on Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment